Walton Street Methodist Church war memorial stories
The war memorial plaque is now at Wesley Memorial Church but was originally at Walton Street Methodist Church. This was an impressive red-brick Gothic building opened at 95 Walton Street in 1883, with seating for 450. It closed in 1946 and was demolished in 1966. Kingston Court now stands on the site.
Most of the men who are recorded have clear family connections with the Jericho area of Oxford. A key source for their stories has been research by Stephanie Jenkins. This includes much more detail of the men's families and is available at: http://www.oxfordhistory.org.uk/war/walton_street_chapel/index.html. Where possible, material has been added from military records to show where and how the men served.