Kidlington Methodist Church
Kidlington Methodist Church is a place of worship where our simple mission is to love God; to love one another, and to love our neighbours, whoever and wherever they may be.
Located on the main road, close to the centre of this very large bustling village, the Church is the focal point for a whole range of community activities – from youth groups, to carer groups, coffee mornings to fun days.
The church has a lively congregation with a regular Music Group and Junior Church, plus mid-week activities for children and young people during term time.
To find out more about us please Visit the church website
Origins of the congregation
Methodists have been meeting for worship in Kidlington since a house was first licensed for worship in 1809.
In 1846 a former malt house in Mill End belonging to Thomas Carter was registered for worship and converted into a chapel. On Census Sunday 1851 the chapel was attended by 25 people in the morning and 40 in the evening.
Most of the congregation seems to have seceded to the Wesleyan Reform movement as a prominent member of that branch of Methodism, G G Banbury of Woodstock, was instrumental in the establishment of what became a United Methodist Free chapel in School Road in 1861.
In 1932 the various branches of the Methodist church family came together to form the Methodist Church we know today. The chapel in School Road continued in use until new premises were built in Oxford Road.
History of the current building
The new chapel on Oxford Road was built on a site given by Mr Sydney Smith, a timber merchant of Lyne Road, who was a prominent Methodist. The official opening was on 24th September 1936. The cost of the building was £2,250. An anonymous donor gave £600 and £700 was provided by the sale of the St Michael’s Street Chapel in Oxford. Other funds were raised locally. The old chapel in School Road was demolished in 1962.
Extensions and refurbishments to the current church have kept the premises up to date and suitable for modern use and will continue as funds allow.