Rose Hill Methodist Church
Rose Hill is affectionately known as the “Church on The Hill” and there has been a Methodist Church on the site since 1835. It is situated on the main road towards the Rose Hill estate and is easily accessible from the city centre.
Before the chapel at Rose Hill was built, the Iffley Methodists felt the need for a burial ground of their own. Burials took place from 1842 until 1962 , after which date the graveyard was closed.
Our congregation includes people who come from many different backgrounds, and during the week we host Community Cupboard (our food bank) and All Sorts (a drop-in for mums, the elderly and anyone who appreciates the welcome of a friendly face).
In 1985, our church stewards at the time, Freda Hoare and Stephen Roper, wrote a full history of the church up to that date, to celebrate the church’s 150th anniversary.
Read this history of Rose Hill here.