Chalgrove Methodist Church
Chalgrove Methodist Church was opened in September 1869, although for the previous 20 years or so, Methodists had worshipped together in Chalgrove in a former Baptist Chapel. The land for the Methodist chapel was donated by a local farmer Richard Hatt. Hatt and other local farmers, supplied the bricks and paid for labour to build the chapel.
Leading members of this church in the last three decades of the 19th century were John Auger, a builder and wheelwright, Jesse Hall, a grocer and a farmer called George Henry Nixey. The Church was registered for marriages in 1909.
Chalgrove Methodist Church closed for worship at Easter 2016 when the small congregation joined St Mary’s, the Parish church in Chalgrove.
Together they continue to worship and be a Christian witness to this rural village of about 3000 people.
The building was subsequently sold and converted into housing. The pictured items from the chapel were found new homes.