This bowl commemorates the school’s founder John Wesley, and the opening of the new Kingswood School in Bath in 1852.
When Kingswood opened in 1748, it provided education for a small number of the sons and daughters of John Wesley’s colleagues and friends. The school was soon restricted to boys only, all of whom were the sons of local Methodist preachers and leaders.
Kingswood eventually outgrew its original site in Bristol and moved to its present location in Lansdown, Bath, in 1852. Find out more about the school here.
This item is part of the Methodist Collection at Lincoln College, Oxford.