Rev James Wilson
Rev James Wilson was a minister in the Methodist New Connexion and moved to Islip in later life.
Born 2nd November 1814 in Greenwich, his first appointment was in the Thorne Circuit in 1838 and his last in Chester 1874 after which he became supernumerary due to ill health.
James Wilson married Hannah Cook on 29th May 1845, the daughter of John Cook of Newcastle-under-Lyne.
The Wilsons’ move to Islip was occasioned by their son John’s academic career. (James Cook Wilson became a Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford in 1873, and he was elected Wykeham Professor of Logic in 1889 eventually becoming a Fellow of New College in 1901.)
James Wilson died on 1st March 1902, four months before his wife. The family grave is in Islip Churchyard.